Re: [OM] OT: BREXIT

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: BREXIT
From: Frank <wijsmuller@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 21:44:50 +0200
​:

​|
 The next one to fall from the EU could be The
​ ​
Netherlands, because of trade.

​Huh? Why would we give up a large internal market? It drives the almost
biggest port of the world (Rotterdam), serving a large part of the
continent, and allows to influence the agricultural policy of the EU,
delivering a non fair advantage to EU farmers (mind you, I'm not saying I
like that very much).​ And even as a part of the EU, our export to non EU
members has increased from 19 to 28 percent the last twenty years. ~10% of
our export is to the UK, which of course will suffer, but so will our
import from the UK as a result of higher barriers. Not a reason for a NEXIT
I presume.

> From a banking perspective, if London
>
> wants to remain THE global banking center, they can't be swallowed up
> by being just the EU banking center.

​The EU will get a replacing banking center in the EU. If only to hit the
UK hard enough to set an example, making sure other countries think twice
to attempt an exit.​ I doubt London will remain as interesting for Asian
and American banks to host an European HQ.

> If
> ​ ​
> The Netherlands wants to
>
> remain a global shipping powerhouse, it can't be swallowed up being

just EU. Short term gain, long term loss.

​As explained, the powerhouse is a 2/3 EU party but non EU is rising
anyway. What is the problem?

> The "federalization" of the EU has increased dramatically over the
> past 20 years with absolutely no end in sight. This was the UK's
> "Screw you, King George III" moment. It took about 240 years for you
> all to figure out what we "Yanks" were all upset about.

​;-)​

​You all might enjoy these:

The Brittish never made a secret about their motives for EU membership ;-) <
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE>

And this one might be a fresh perspective, a Dutch journalist who has been
living in Londen for the last years:
<
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jun/28/brexit-great-news-eu-britain-sovereignty>.
His Dutch best-seller about the London banking world has been translated: <
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Swimming-Sharks-Journey-World-Bankers/dp/1783350644

​