Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!

Subject: Re: [OM] Win7 Is Us!
From: David Thatcher <plusphoto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 14:36:19 +1030
Don't tell me that public Internet e-mail is considered a suitable and
safe  medium for transferring confidential personal documents, like
financial and medical information? That's pretty scary.

If an insurance company or a bank asked me to e-mail them something
containing personal information  (without at least using something like
crypt with a long key to encapsulate it... and no, a ZIP with a password
isn't adequate!) I would drop them in a hearbeat... I'd even be wary if
they had an online document server to upload into.

Consider the path of an e-mail. The sender's client machine, their\
ISP's mail server, any intermediate transfer agents (pretty much zero
these days) and the destination mail server (which may be another ISP's
mail server). The mail is stored (at least temporarily) in all of these
places. If the sender or the recipient (or any of the systems in the
path) use a clown-based storage/backup or hosting  e.g.
onedrive/icloud/amazon, a copy lives there ready for harvest. As we have
seen, the question is not 'IF', but 'WHEN' the compromise will occur.

davidt