Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?

Subject: Re: [OM] Transient cam malady, next steps?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2020 22:41:31 -0700
<<Mike, first let me offer my sympathy.  That is upsetting.  I would agree with you
that it sounds like a hardware problem.  Let me ask a question.  Has it been sitting,
unused, for quite a period of time?  What I am wondering <<is whether or not your
searching for a solution may have raised the temperature enough to expel some moisture that
was causing the problem?

Sat for a couple weeks--had tried Pro cap mode  low with CAF near Essex river-- wet black
labs and sticks.  No images of artistic merit  but fun proof of concept. Moose prompted
this activity as he determined Pro cap mode H works for PL 100-400 though
"they" say it isn't supposed to work.
Anyway, charged the battery and powered up the beastie and the problem is back,
sigh.

If I have the narrative right, it happens when camera is cold, then clears as it's been on a while? You mention it got better after lens mounted, but might it have been a matter of time powered on, nothing to do with lens?

If so, it's probably something like a cold solder joint, damp/corrosion in a pressure connection or some such. If so, you can document that and take pix of the progress, so repair folks have proof, and perhaps a hint of where to look.

Does it also apply when viewing images on the card?

I expect it's in the display prep circuit, as it applies to both EVF and LCD, so I expect image review to be affected the same, but it never hurts to carefully enumerate all symptoms. If it only affected display of in-camera memory, but not SD card images, that would further isolate the problem, for example.

I've done a lot of electronic troubleshooting. Sometimes it has even worked.

Logical Triage Moose

PS: If you do send it off, take note of your settings. It will come back reset
to factory defaults.