Re: [OM] 50mm versions?

Subject: Re: [OM] 50mm versions?
From: PCACala@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 15:11:16 EST
CMIB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Gary, I thought that the MC version would be better by definition, no? >>

Oh, Chris, you are going to make me rethink the wisdom of keeping my arsenal
of non-MC Zuiko lenses and various brand filters.  I have no problem with
getting chrome ringed (non-MC) lenses at the right price.  If one uses a
lenshood and doesn't typically shoot with light sources IN the frame, then it
is a much more minor point than lens and filter maker's marketing machines
would have us believe.  Or so I've rationalized all these years!  Memory has
it that I said "oh, give me a break" when the photography magazines started
hyping: "MULTICOATING: Why YOU need it!"  They didn't prove their point with
me, but I'm a marketing skeptic.

Now how come I can think that way about the OLY system but you wouldn't catch
me buying a view camera lens which isn't multi-coated?  Beats me, although I
do get filters for the 4x5 which are non-MC.

Maybe other think the same way because I have yet to see MC versus non-MC
versions of Zuiko lenses differentiated in the used ads.

If Ansel Adams had been an OLY user shooting transparency film, I could have
seen him carrying pairs of Zuikos: the non-MC for a Zone +1 preexposure effect
in scenes greater than 5 stops contract difference and the MC for when the
ratio was 5 stops or lower!  He would have had that sucker tested to the n'th
degree.  All the more wonder he had time to shoot.  But I can understand why
his kids rarely saw him.

Gary Reese  <--- remembering that photography is art and rational thinking
isn't necessary
Las Vegas, NV