Re: Re[2]: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)

Subject: Re: Re[2]: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality images)
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 21:44:32 +0800
> From: Dave Haynie <dhaynie@xxxxxxxxxx>
> To: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re[2]: Digital Photo & Printing (was: Re[2]: [OM] OM Quality
images)
> Date: Friday, December 18, 1998 11:45 PM

> Given an A/B, I have yet to meet a non-photographer who can't spot the
> difference. I recently did this, two 8x10s from the printer, one a real
> photo -- I was surprised both by the level of pixel detail I got from
> the printer, probably well beyond the resolution of the original film
> (roughly 7500x6000). But also by how obvious the difference was, looking
> at both print and photo.

The inkjet is not a continue tone printer, the dip is not calculate in that
way. My older Epson manual suggest a file resolution of 150dpi for 720dpi
printing. As the Stylus Photo 700 have six colors, the image file
resolution may need about 200-250dpi.

> details as much as the Canon). Take that Epson and A/B is against a
> low-cost dye sub, and most folks will pick the dye sub. Take that against
> a real 8x10 print, and they'll pick the print.

Yes, that is true. But I saw a test report from a magazine, some low-cost
dye sub's color accuracy is poor even compared to ink jet.

> With the A/B, no, most will accept anything printed at this resolution
> as "photo-quality".  I'm not sure the average person really knows photo
> quality. After all, they probably see more "photos" in glossy magazines
> than prints in normal life. Any decent ink-jet printer of today on
> photo-paper does a better job than all but perhaps the best heavy stock
> magazine printing.

Most magazines are with printing resolution of around 2450dpi, they are
much higher than inkjet. But the diffusion dithering technique in inkjet
give it a better look. Normal quality magazines are much better than
inkjet, print a small photo of around 3x4" you will note the different
immediately, while a 8x10" print at longer viewing distance may look close.

C.H.Ling