Re: [OM] Re: Status of the EOS 1n from Camera World of Oregon

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Status of the EOS 1n from Camera World of Oregon
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:05:55 +0200
Some remarks,

I once was also infidel to our beloved OM´s and bought an EOS-1.

Samuel Morales schrieb:

> I liked the sound of the shutter.(sounds like a silenced machine gun, tat ,
> tat , tat.)

Don´t know if that has changed much, but the build in film transport (I
wouldn´t call it motor) was noisy and slow. Most embarasing was the film
rewind, it sounded similar to an cheap p&S. The Booster pack will speed
up things with a lot more noise, not comparable with an EOS-5.

> What blew me away though was how I had more in- focus shots
> with the Zuiko lens than I had while using the OM-4Ti with the standard
> screen.  The Canon EOS1n had a much brighter viewing screen than the 4Ti ,
> it made manual focusing easier.

Makes me wonder, many dedicated EOS photogs complain about the
difficulty to focus manualy with the super bright focusing screens,
which are optimized for AF use. I´ve heard several opinions, that the
less bright screens used in the F4 are much better to focuse manualy.
I personaly found the EOS-1 finder not brighter and better to focus than
an OM-4. Manual focusing is no joy with AF lenses, their mechanical
quality is far inferior to Zuikos, save some multi kilo buck tele lenses.

> I always knew my OM-1 and even OM-2000 was a lot brighter than my 4Ti

Probably your OM-4 is just diry.

> I said the one that came with it.
> He said that's nothing Canon has another focusing screen that's even
> brighter.

And probably even more dificult to focus on it, because this screen is
comparable with the screens used in the amateur bodys, user of this
complain realy much and relativly praise the standard EOS-1 screens.

> I kept reaching for things that weren't
> there if you know what I mean. (old habit)

Yeah especialy the spot metering button, it´s quite akward to change
mettering pattern with an EOS-1 and this has not changed with the EOS-1n.
An Canon representive has admited this to me, but explained that they
didn´t changed it in order not to confuse the user.

Regards

Richard