Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter

Subject: Re: [OM] mechanical and electrical shutter
From: "Samuel Morales" <dolphans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:04:26 -0600
I know I am going to catch some heat because I always do.  The difference
between mechanical and electronic.

Electronic is supposed to be more accurate, thus perhaps more reliable in
delivering a higher ratio of correct exposures.  However this can be argued.

I once ran an exposure test between an OM-1 versus the OM-4T on auto
exposure.  I photographed two separate 36 exposure rolls of film per camera.
The subject was the 1966 original Batmobile (1 of the 6 originals).  The car
was black.

The OM-4T probably gave a more accurate negative exposure than the OM-1,
however in the prints, you really could not distinguish between the two.

I asked a few friends to pick the best set of photo's,  they liked the best.
They all picked the OM-1 shot roll.

So go figure.... By the way the same lens was used, 35mm F-2.

In my opinion, if you know how to use the camera and make  the compensation
for shooting a black car or whatever, then it's a matter of individual
preference.  If you want to get lazy or you don't have time to shoot it,
perhaps the auto exposure might work to your advantage.

If your shooting in a setting where the conditions are constantly changing,
i.e. concert or certain hot spots on a football field because your following
the action and do not have the opportunity to make corrections to the
shutter speed dial or aperture, then the electronic shutter might give you
the edge.

However the say the "best photo's" are 1/3 of a stop slightly over exposed.

Just my opinion.... Sam...