[OM] Zuiko Date Codes

Subject: [OM] Zuiko Date Codes
From: Jim Terazawa <jimt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 10:31:25 -0500
Last night I spent some time looking at the flange or the collar near
the rear element of my Zuiko lenses that had stamps.  The followings
were observed:

TNQA
TNH1
TNR2
TNIC
TNO5
TNO8
TNT1
SAG7
SAG6

I then looked at Lee Hawkins' OM FAQ at:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins
B21) How can I tell when my OM-{1(N), 2(N), 10} was assembled
to try to figure out code scheme commonality between the
OM bodies and Zuiko lenses.

I then went to the Olympus Japan website
http://www.olympus.co.jp/Profile/
to figure out the lens assembly plant.
I found that there are two plants that assemble lenses
(the website does not specifically say Zuiko, but
lens assembly is one of the operations).  One plant
that assemble the lens are by the names of Tatsuno
and the other one is Sakaki (subsidiary).
http://www.olympus.co.jp/Profile/Oljpn/tatsuno.html
http://www.olympus.co.jp/Profile/Subsidiary/sakaki.html

So, I assume first two characters are plant code.
I also assume the fourth alpha numeric from left
signify month - "A" means October.  However,
I am not sure how the year is coded.  Can "A"
mean 1980 or starting of year coding ?  If so,
the newest lens assemble in above list is code
TNT1 - Tatsuno Plant, 1999, January.  I bought
this lens brand new in August this year.
Maybe John Hermanson can chip in.

Jim Terazawa