Re: [OM] tripods

Subject: Re: [OM] tripods
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 11:07:24 -0700
Well, there are many options when it comes to tripods, Walt. But when you travel with a few thousand dollars worth of camera gear why compromise on the tripod and head you plan to rest it all on? I don't get that. When it comes to an all-round package of 1) build quality 2) functionality 3) ease of use 4) warranty and finally 5) weight, the name Gitzo stands head and shoulders above the rest. There are no serious contenders.

Does Gitzo charge more? Yes. Is it worth it? Read on.

As I see this, it boils down to priorities. So, please think about this. Instead of buying another lens or camera body that you might only use once or twice a year, doesn't it strike you as being at least worth idle consideration to rather redirect that same investment into a superior tripod system? To my way of thinking that's a nobrainer, but what do I know. I will say that I don't even do that much tripod work, yet when it came time to upgrade my kit with travel in mind I focused on just one product name. That product name was Gitzo, and from perspective this was a nobrainer.

You only need to buy gear of this quality one time, and it will then render utter superior service to you for the rest of your life. Why buy schlock? I just don't get it.

Tris

At 12:19 PM 7/24/01 -0400, you wrote:
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>If weight's an issue buy a Gitzo carbon fiber. From B&H Photo:

         Gitzo G1128 Mk2 Mountaineer Sport Carbon Fiber (Compact) Tripod
Legs (Rapid Column) Supports 11 Lbs

         Price: $511.95

The next size up, the Mountain Reporter Mk2 (G1228) , supports up to 13
pounds and is a tad longer collapsed and a bit heavier, but still
a superb travelling tripod. Attach a small, light ball head and you're in
business. B&H price: $652.00.

As do all Gitzo products, these tripods com with a lifetime warranty, and
like all Gitzo products function as in a dream.

Tris<

And if you're prefer not mortgaging the farm, check out the Cullmann line.

Walt