Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems

Subject: Re: [OM] off OM topic: opinions on medium format 6x6 camera systems
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:02:40 -0500
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 10:00:56AM -0700, Walt Wayman wrote:
> > What I would like, would be a light, 6x6 body, 50mm, 80mm and 150mm or
> > so..... At a somewhat affordable price...
> I have put together a Graflex XL outfit for less than $2500.

For a while, I had a Koni-Omega Rapid M. 6x7 format, and cheap: 120 or 220
backs are in the $150 range, the standard 90/2.8 lens is well regarded, and
the 58 and 180 lenses (which couple with the rangefinder with no trouble)
are also well thought of. I had a system with the camera, three backs, and
the three lenses I mentioned (there's a fourth, a 135, that's rare and
expensive), and had less than $1500 in it - my memory is fuzzy, but it may
well have been less than $1000. Sold it because I just didn't use it, and
getting 6x7 processed was a pain. The one drawback is that it's *not* light;
the camera and the 90mm lens were a bit over 4 pounds. Then again, I'[m not
sure I'd count any Graflex as light, either.