Re: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 12:56:01 -0700
on 9/4/02 9:40 PM, Doggre@xxxxxxx at Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

> My own observation:  all the scans seem slightly blurry, out of focus.  The
> scans were made from 4 X 6 prints (made from slides of Provia 100F) which
> look pretty decent.  Something has been lost between the prints and
> photo.net.
>
> So my main question at this point is, what do you guys think is the main
> problem here?  Scanner (Epson Perfection 1200U)?  Scanning too small a print?
> Resolution?  I used 133dpi  for 600 X 800 monitors.  Should I have scanned
> at 300dpi and reduced it somehow?  Saved them as .jpg files -- could that be
> it?  There is SO much to learn here.
>
> So much fun, so little time...
>
> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=234534
>
> Rich

Rich -- Some really great sunsets and scenic stuff there... I wish I had a
mountain like that nearby.

Scanning is something I'm still figuring out... but first thing, I think you
benefit from the least possible number of transformations. So it would be
best to scan from the negative or slide directly, instead of from a print
made from a slide or negative.

Then I think you want to scan at the highest optical resolution (true
mechanical resolution, not 'interpolated' resolution) and the best bit-depth
you can get. It is true that this will result in large file sizes, but I
believe it is best to capture the most image information you can get, then
discard it as appropriate for the final destination. If your Epson 1200U can
scan at 1200dpi, start there and then 'resize' the image to get a good
resolution for the web at 800x600 pixels.

Also, .jpg compression can be done with different levels of compression to
adjust the image quality. Pick the highest quality level you can still get a
reasonable file size from (don't forget us dial-up 56K users...) and only
compress it once! EACH time you save as a .jpg the image loses some
information. So if you save as a .jpg, reopen that file and tweak it, then
resave it as a .jpg again you will lose quality twice... Do all the tweaks
on a .tiff or .psd or some other kind of "loss-less compression" format
file, then only save as a .jpg once, as the *last* step before posting the
image.
--

Jim Brokaw