Re: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First

Subject: Re: [OM] Jumping Into the Pool Head First
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:59:40 +0100
Excellent photos Rich - I especially like the silhouetted boat at sunset. Regarding the sharpness of the prints I agree they do look slightly soft, and I think this is probably due to scanning at too low a resolution. When I first got a flatbed scanner I used to scan photos at a resolution which meant they came out as 690x460 images, and it was only much later that I realised you can get much, much better quality by scanning at the best resolution of the scanner, resampling to web-size later, and then sharpening a bit in photoshop.

Note that most scanners claim to offer very high resolution via interpolation, but the resolution to scan at is the optical resolution of the scanner - in this case 1200dpi, not the claimed interpolated resolution of 9600dpi. If 1200dpi gives files that are too large to work with, scan at 600 or 300dpi.

Saving as jpegs will cause some loss in quality, but it should be barely noticable, unless you save as a jpeg, then do some image manipulation and save as a jpeg again. In that case ugly artefacts will begin appearing.

Hope that helps,
Roger

My own observation: all the scans seem slightly blurry, out of focus. The scans were made from 4 X 6 prints (made from slides of Provia 100F) which look pretty decent. Something has been lost between the prints and photo.net.

So my main question at this point is, what do you guys think is the main problem here? Scanner (Epson Perfection 1200U)? Scanning too small a print? Resolution? I used 133dpi for 600 X 800 monitors. Should I have scanned at 300dpi and reduced it somehow? Saved them as .jpg files -- could that be it? There is SO much to learn here.

So much fun, so little time...

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=234534

Rich