[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas" <cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 19:09:31 +0200
Hi all,

>So the 10D has a slightly
>softer, less contrasty, smoother raw image that is more capable of
>being turned into a great image with a little work and the 300D is a
>little sharper, more contrasty, more saturated, a little more noisy
>straight out of the camera even though they use the same sensor. Ready
>to print though.

My usual settings on the 300D are:

Contrast   =  0 (normal)
Saturation = -1 (low)
Sharpening = -2 (minimum)

I seldom shoot in RAW -- it's extremely slow to process in my old computers!

And the exposure compensation is set at -2/3, to save some highlights --
the images are no longer ready to print straight out of the camera (they
look somewhat dull and dark), but a levels and/or gamma adjustment is all
that they need, most of the time. I'm quite satisfied with the results this
way.

OTOH, my nephew's Can*n P*wershot A60 gives ready-to-print pics, as
expected from a P&S, but at max. res (1600x1200) I see rather coarse
sharpening artifacts. The pics look nice at 1024x768, though.

Enjoy,

Carlos J. Santisteban

<cjss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<http://cjss.galeon.com>