[OM] New website (opinions wanted)

Subject: [OM] New website (opinions wanted)
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2005 14:48:00 -0400
I just completely rebuilt my website, with a hope to actual make money at
photography. I'm trying to get into a few shows as well.

http://www.scalesimages.com

I was hopeful that I could get some constructive criticism from a group of
people that I respect and will be honest and blunt with me.

OK, it's marginally on-topic, as a number of the images are taken with OM
equipment. You can tell the ones that are OM, as their file name has
'meaning' rather than DSC_ or something like that.

For those, interested in the technical details:

The site is built in hand-coded PHP code. I designed it to be
'self-updating'. If new images are in a directory, they show up on the
website without any other intervention or code. If new directories exist, of
a certain naming convention, then new menus appear on the images page
automatically. The quotes on the main page are randomly selected and new
quotes are added by just adding a text file to a certain directory.

Each image, when displayed individually, shows buttons to choose a size,
mat, etc. and then add it to a paypal shopping cart. All is done
dynamically, so other than keeping a table of sizes, prices, etc. (actually
hard coded into one file), there is no work at Paypal. No data entry at all.
On the 'single image' page, there is a link to display selected EXIF info
from the image file (if it exists).

The pricing is bogus and is is not connected to live PayPal.  There is a
two-line code change to go live with PayPal, but I need to set pricing
first.  Suggestions welcome!  Each print will be hand crafted and mounted.

If I do say so myself, the code is pretty slick and not very complex. Since
I had never written a line of PHP code until a few days ago, it can't be
that complex.

Oh, the look and feel is all in a CSS file and template files, so it's easy
to change.

Comments welcome!  If you'd rather reply off list, feel free.

Tom