[OM] Re: [OT] -- can anyone help me identify these flowers (and a couple

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] -- can anyone help me identify these flowers (and a couple birds?)
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 12:24:27 -0400
Birds -
#20 - White Ibis, Eudocimus albus (adults).  Note the orange bill and
orange legs.  Juveniles are brown and gradually turn white.  They look
quite mottled during the transition.  Juveniles also have differently
colored bills and legs and look a bit more like a Limpkin.  Another
similar looking bird of Florida is the Glossy Ibis.  Same size and shape
but having iridescent looking feathers, dark bill and legs.

#50 - Probably a Great Egret, Casmerodius albus.  But it's a bit hard to
tell since there are similar looking birds.  I'm guessing based on the
apparent size of the bird and what appears to be black legs and feet.
The bill should be yellow but I can't tell that from this photo.

To identify the birds of Florida you should have a book such as the
"Peterson Field Guide to Eastern Birds".  Many species along the east
coast migrate into or through Florida on their way to South America so
having a list of just the year-round residents isn't sufficient.

Lizard -
#60 - Brown Anole, Anolis sagrei.  These little guys are invading
Florida from Cuba and the Bahamas pushing out the native Green Anole,
Anolis carolinensis.  The Green Anoles are capable of changing color
from bright green to a light gray/brown and people mistakenly call them
chameleons.  The Brown Anole comes in an amazing variety of patterns but
is always predominantly medium to dark brown.  The Green Anole may have
a small amount of patterning but is usually pretty much a solid color
even when he changes.  You probably find them in the house once in a
while dead and shriveled up from dehydration.  Encourage them.  They eat
a ton of bugs.

Flowers -
A tough one.  I'll try to take a look later but what you find planted
around can be very tough to identify.  Most of the flowers are probably
nursery stock and can be from just about anywhere in the world or some
nursery's special creation.  I'll try to compare with "native" Florida
flowers and see if I can match anything.  With respect to Florida birds
and plants, "native" generally means blew in from Africa with a
hurricane sometime within the past 5,000 years.

A good book for you to acquire would be "The Guide to Florida
Wildflowers" by Walter Kingsley Taylor, ISBN 0-87833-747-4.  Taylor is,
or used to be, professor of biology at the University of Central Florida.

Chuck Norcutt