[OM] Re: Magnum photographer shooting war with Olympus digital P&S

Subject: [OM] Re: Magnum photographer shooting war with Olympus digital P&S
From: "Roger Key" <rogerdkey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:43:28 +0200
A possible alternative to the 8080 could be the 7070 (7.1 Megapixels), which
was introduced in January/February. I had been looking for an affordable
8080 in Denmark, when I chanced upon a 'used' 7070 that was selling for 75%
of the lowest Danish 'net' price. I spoke to the seller, and found that he
had bought it less than two months before, but had almost immediately fallen
for an EOS 350D. It was with all the original packing, contents etc. and
full Danish two-year guarantee. My wife and I had already decided that we
should buy a digital SLR and a compact digital P&S (she has just inherited
some money!), so I stretched the 'compact' a bit, and bought the 7070.
It looks like a 5060 (same lens I believe), but has electronics from the
8080 plus some improvements. It has predictive autofocus, for instance
(called'Oracle AF'). The flip-up monitor screen is an improvement over the
5060 (flips up first, and then rotates). Amongst the listed accessories is a
TCON-30C lens, which gives a 330mm (35mm equiv) at f4.8.

Now I can play with the 7070 whilst I wait to see what Olympus come up with
for E-1 and E-300 replacement/upgrade. First impressions are very positive.

Roger Key