[OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes

Subject: [OM] Re: The Gimp file sizes
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2005 23:32:40 -0300
On 7/16/05, Brian Swale <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> One interesting and very useful aspect of The Gimp, is that the jpg files
> resulting from a re-size are incredibly small.
>
> I re-sized a 3.1 MB jpg from the E-1 (about 2500 px wide to 600px wide) and
> the resultant file was about 28kb
>
> No other program I have at my disposal does that and also retains a very
> good degree of sharpness and fidelity to colours etc.

I think I've already mentioned this before but I'll send it again. I
haven't used The Gimp very much but I do use ImageMagick for my jpeg
conversion. I like to batch convert my full-size TIFF files into jpeg
files of various sizes for my website. I wrote up a perl script that
uses ImageMagick (which has great Perl tools btw) to handle the batch
processing. I've been amazed by the the quality I can get with this
while still getting a very small file. I know that ImageMagick uses
libjpeg and strongly suspect that The Gimp does as well (I'd have to
double check to be certain). I suspect that libjpeg has a really good
implementation of jpeg compression (although you'd think that Adobe
could manage something).