[OM] Re: Pronumciation (was Re: USA Southwest)

Subject: [OM] Re: Pronumciation (was Re: USA Southwest)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 17:07:38 -0800
Fernando Gonzalez Gentile wrote:

>on 4/11/2005 22:19, tOM Trottier at tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:
>
>>different accents (same words, different pronunciation)
>>

>About <prosodia> :

A wonderful word for it. I speak only a little Spanish, but I've
certainly noticed this.

>Yes, different accents of a word, but also different accentuation within a
>sentence.

More even than that in some places. "Singing" is apt, as part of it is
timing; there is a rythm to sentences. Even if I can't understand a
word, I can tell that the tree trimmers working on my neighbor's trees
today are from Mexico, probably central. If my ear were more accute,
like my late wife, who was a native speaker, I could tell more exactly
where. In the big cities, though, and in the US, it starts to blend
together. Along the US/Mexican border, it gets wonderfully muddled. In
most of Mexico, and I suppose, Latin America, brakes are frendos. In El
Paso, the shops advertise repair of brakos. There's lots more of those
sorts of crossovers that I don't remember.

Costa Rica is a tiny country, but there are still strong regional
differences. Country people in the SE have an especially appealing way
of speaking. Sitting on a bus, it was a pleasure just to listen to the
old men talking, even though I only caught a few words.

><snip>
>Not quite different dialects, at least in this small country.
>Certainly, Mexican Spanish is a different dialect than ours, and Spanish
>Spanish too.

Words can have VERY different meanings in different parts of Latin
America. I don't remember details, but I've sat and listened to people
from different parts talk and laugh about that. I seem to remember a
polite word for a soft dinner roll in Mexico which was a quite impolite
name of a personal body part somewhere in the South, maybe Argentina, as
there was an Argentinian there.

Moose