[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: DACattani@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 20:41:59 EST

In a message dated 1/6/2006 9:45:17 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was  there several years ago:
http://www.image66media.com/page13.html

The  timing was perfect. We did it right after Labor Day weekend.
Actually took  the boat over on Monday and came back on Friday.
No bugs. :)  On that  above listed page there is a photo of a
moose that got a bit closer than I  really wanted.  This shot was
at about minimum focus distance with the  200/4.

Next time I go there, I'll go to the east end.  Fewer moose  on
that side, but great canoeing.

============================
Fabulous!

We did the east end in '77, but portaged over the ridge on the trail noted
on the map on your web site, rather than go around the tip. We were told that
the weather was too unpredictable up there.

During another portage, we dismounted our canoe for a break along a  stream
while heading to one of the inland lakes for fishing. Quite a surprise to  see
a big bull moose in the middle of the stream about 15 feet from us with his
head underwater dredging up some nice tasty sticks, leaves and muck. Cameras
inside our packs. There was a lot of splashing as he headed up the opposite
bank. Boy those big guys can move fast. I was told that they've got  relatively
poor eye sight. Never-the-less, we had a real adrenaline rush,  and another
lost photo opportunity.

Great web site. I've added it to my Favorites Backpacking folder. I still
want to go back some day.