[OM] Spent time with the Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Spent time with the Dark Side
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 09:55:39 -0700 (PDT)
Sorry folks, I just can't do it.

I spent some time again with the 5D. I REALLY want to like this
camera--really I do.  But I just can't come to grips with the
grip.  The camera just feels totally wrong.  The weight is
really nice--it definitely feels a lot lighter than my E-1 and
the viewfinder is quite decent.  We all know about the image
quality, no need to dwell there--if it wasn't good, this would
all be moot.

True to form, My hand went numb in a few minutes. (better than
the 10D which would do it in seconds).  Ok, why?  I picked up a
Nikon D200 and it felt a little heavier, but everthing felt much
better.  My hand did start to complain, but nothing like the
Canon.  Going back to the E-1, my hand was completely happy.
What's going on here?  Even my lowly A-1 felt better.

1. I looked very carefully at the grip shape--it's all in the
gripshape.  The Canon's faux motor drive grip is more rounded
and there is no specific "edge" for the finger tips to catch.
The Nikon has a very well defined "edge"--even better than my
Olympus. What this means is that my fingers must grip the camera
tighter to provide the same "leverage".

2. I then looked at the back.  My thumb was cramping up with the
Canon and less so with the Nikon, but doesn't at all with either
the Olympus or the Minolta.  Why?  Because the Olympus and
Minolta bodies provide a "catch" (jobby) for the thumb. With the
Canon and Nikon, the thumb has to squeeze the back of the body
to provide the full grip on the camera. The catch on the Olympus
and Minolta allow the thumb to just rest there in a normal
position yet provide the lateral stability necessary to
counteract the weight of the camera.

3. Rubber. The E-1 and A1 use a rubbery grip that actually
"grips". The Nikon is also very good, but the 5D's grip felt
plasticy--again not as bad as some previous models, but not
nearly as sticky as what I'm used to.

Most people obviously do not have a problem with the ergonomics
of the Canon.  I can't criticize anybody for selecting one, but
for me, ergonomics are SO important that I cannot ignore them.
I'll keep trying and maybe some day I'll be able to figure out
how to hold one without my hands going numb.

So far, my "hand compatibility" with non-Olympus cameras is the
D2X (most comfy), 1Ds (good), 20D (somewhat acceptable) and the
Minolta 7D (off the charts good).

Something else I look at when examining a camera is the "Holy
Grail" test.  Is this camera "the cat's meow" and something that
is the answer to my dreams?  Or is it an interim camera until
the next model comes out?  The D2X has that "Holy Grail"
characteristic to it, so does the 1Ds(and variants).  The E-1
even fits in that mold.  The D200 and 5D have the look and feel
to them that they are "current model year" cameras but not
something that I'd want to keep for years and years.  I classify
a "Holy Grail" camera one of those that you have to get rid of
eventually because of technical reasons, not because you want to
get rid of it.

"It's just a tool" you say.  True.  But at what point does the
tool fight you?  Maybe I'm a little slow and not the brightest
bulb in the chandelier when it comes to learning how to use
ergonomicaly inferior devices.  (but, hey, if I can figure out
how to use an AW4416 I can figure out almost anything).  If I
can't be comfortable with the camera I'm going to be looking for
its replacement.  Just maybe a camera is less a "tool" and more
like a "pair of shoes".  I don't like wearing uncomfortable
shoes and won't buy certain brands because of it.  Who cares if
those running shoes are the lightest and bounciest  and have all
sorts of shock absorbers in the heels--if the toes are pinched
and you get blisters, nothing else matters.

But everybody's feet are different.  Nike and Canon are #1 for
some reason.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com