[OM] Re: Hi-res shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi-res shootout
From: Stephen Troy <sctroy@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:30:18 -0400
At 02:02 PM 5/16/2006 -0700, jeff
 wrote:

>But it is "natural" to just position the back parallel to the plane of the
>scene for perspective correction, then tilt the lens for DOF. A 35mm SLR
>wouldn't really need them to be separate. If it were only the tilt/shift,
>roll film backs and good lenses would replace sheet film? Maybe it's just
>that the experienced experts like the tool and stick with it?

Oh, there's much, much more to tilt and shift than perspective correction.
My brother uses it all the time to place the plane of focus exactly where
he wants it, which is seldom vertical or horizontal - often more of a
"tilted inclined plane."  To do this, which is critical in his work, you
need to be able to move the lens plane and the film plane relative to the
subject matter, and independent of each other.  Makes it tough for digital
as the light rays would be hitting the sensor at some god-awful angles that
don't bother film at all.

And yes, we use the roll film back quite often on the 4x5 when we need the
view camera control but not the film size.

Steve Troy