[OM] Re: ? on B&W photography

Subject: [OM] Re: ? on B&W photography
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 14:52:46 -0700
Can't point to anything. My understanding, though, is that indeed,
chilling film extends its life. It is, after all a chemical reaction
waiting to happen and those things are slowed by low temperature. I
am not sure what the difference is between shelf life extension and
maintaining the emulsion at a particular state. The end result sounds
the same to me.

I think it is consensus that there is little difference in the  life
extension effect between refrigerator temperatures and freezer
temperatures, although some have said that freezing the moisture in
the emulsion can sometimes damage it. Never observed that sort of
damage myself, but started using a plastic storage container in the
meat keeper after that. The oldest refrigerated film I have used was
2 years past the expiration date and it was fine. It was medium
speed, color reversal film. It did not seem to help with Polaroid
film packs.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA