[OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files

Subject: [OM] Re: DNG issues with E-1 files
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 06:53:39 -0800 (PST)
Chris wrote:
> That is disturbing information.  I had trusted that DNG were
> "untouched" files to all intents and purposes.

Well, in my research on DNG it appears that even a "converted"
DNG file still has to be RAW converted differently depending on
the source.  In otherwords, an Olympus-sourced DNG file is
different than a Canon-sourced DNG file.  So, not all DNG files
are created equally.  For instance, the specific Bayer-Matrix
pattern (GBGR) is different between chip manufacturers.

This pattern noise is similar to the noise pattern that would
occur was earlier versions of ACR as well as DCRAW on E-1 files
where the combined Red-Green pixels were combined and saturation
level was being reached.  Those with Vuescan can see this
happen--just open up a sunset picture in Vuescan and look at the
bright yellows.

> However, lately I have been using LightRoom to adjust images
> and then to export them to jpgs, so I don't think that it
> will have affected me recently.

I still didn't get around to looking at these in LightRoom yet,
but probably will tonight.  I'll also post JPEGs of these up on
my website for everybody to see.

Lightroom is looking mighty fine to me.  Other than it being
extremely slow, it is coming across as a very powerful tool for
the working pro.  I worked another portrait session in it this
week and it was a total pleasure to use.  Being able to adjust
luminousity and saturation per channel prior to conversion is a
huge advantage to me.  What really got me was the ability to
skew a couple of faders and have "Velvia" jump out at me.  Wow!
Finally we're getting there.  It's very easy with LightRoom to
develop a "look" to your images and apply them across the board
to the entire project.  RawShooter still presents some major
advantages, but it lacks the "middle of the universe" glue that
Lightroom has.

AG

(http://voice.yahoo.com)