[OM] Re: OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 11:50:35 -0800 (PST)
Warmonger Bob wrote:
> Don't want to sound like a warmonger here, but the sounds of
> firearms in movies always riles me more than a little.

Ok, now we're getting into an area which personally wrankles me too.
I've been involved in enough Foley and sound-effect editing to really
make me jaded.

The problem with gunshot sounds is that the REAL guns sound so whimpy
on "tape".  You essentially have to go up in a gun class to achieve
the right perceived sound.  For example, a 22 sounds on tape like two
rocks smacked together.  A 357 will sound like a fire-cracker.

One time I needed a good shotgun sound.  We recorded it and we would
have been better off saying "BAM" into the microphone. (think Batman,
the TV show).  Well, I pulled out the sound-effects CD library (same
stuff the TV/Movie production people use) and ended up combining on a
digital multitrack editor, two-shotgun sounds, an explosion, a hammer
strike, thunder and, IIRC, a Saturn-V launch.  End result was a very
impressive shotgun that not only sounded good in broadcast, but was
also used in live-theatre.

I was ornery during the rehersals and noted that when you fire a
shotgun INDOORS at the ceiling, something is gonna fall.  DUH!  Well,
it took us about five minutes with the Foley guys to get about 10
takes of things, like gravel, falling to get a really nice ceiling
falling in.

Our live audiences were ducking for cover.  (especially considering
that the sound was coming from the surrounds)

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com