[OM] Re: OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Sound effects, was Ran into a photographer
From: Philippe Le Zuikomane <zuikomane@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 22:23:39 -0600
Fascinating, AG -- and so we might assume that filmgoers and TV viewers have
been taught to expect those longer, more bass-heavy, reverberating sounds? A
bit like those explosions that do not sound (or look) like high explosives?
It's amazing how cultural constructs are substituted for anything that might
actually mimic reality. Mutant versions of natural phenomena, mutated
sensibilities. The (movie-)house that Jack (Foley) built? :-) - Phil

On 11:24, AG Schnozz wrote:

>The actual sound of a gun firing (or even a canon) is remarkably
>short.  Think about it.  Those grains all ignite in just a few
>milliseconds.  The gun itself is an acoustical device with some
>resonance, but it is pretty short.  The muzzle-flash is where much of
>the actual sound concussion originates.
>
>Most of the sound you here from a gun shot or a canon (1812 overture)
>is reflections and reverb in the acoustical space (room) where the
>listener/listening device is located.
>
>Another example is lightening/thunder.  When the strike is REALLY
>close, all you hear is a "crack".  But then you start to hear rumbles
>and booms from it. The rumbles and booms are sound reflections off of
>buildings, hills, and even thermal layers in the air.
>
>To make any gunshot sound "bigger" and more "natural" you need to
>fire it in a room that will allow the sound to decay slower than it
>would in open free space.
>
>AG

==