[OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: a few Mac questions
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 20:47:50 -0700
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Gordon Letwin at
> Microsoft developed FAT32...

Based on the HDOS file system he did for Heathkit even earlier!

A freshly-formatted HDOS disk, when examined with a hex editor,
contained the ASCII pattern "JGLJGLJGLJGL" (for J. Gordon Letwin).
(At least on the H-89 I built after I tired of flipping switches on
the MITS Altair 8800 system I built before that.)

You can "balderdash" all you want, but Apple will still read FAT32
better than Windows reads a UNIX filesystem, which has been stable
and public since, what, Ritchie & Thompson, 1972 or so?

There's one great thing about Microsoft -- there's TONS of money for
consultants and "fixers" out there! The three worst years of my life
(professionally) were also the three most profitable, when I spent 60
+ hours a week trying to do financial systems on Wall Street with
WinNT. Unlike the "Maytag Repairman" syndrome if you try to make a
living working on Mac systems.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing magical about Apple. It's simply
the "dominant player syndrome!" I'm sure if Apple had a dominant
position, they'd be the #1 arrogant a**hole computer company instead
of Microsoft. I don't like Apple because they're Apple, it's because
they have to work harder for their customers, instead of disdainfully
taking them for granted, like Microsoft does.

I drive on biodiesel I make myself (when not cycling or walking),
shoot Olympus, make buildings out of mud and straw, strive to eat
food and use goods and services that come from within 100 miles of my
home, and compute on a Mac. Subvert the dominant paradigm! If you're
not part of the solution, you're just part of the problem.

(Leaving a HUGE opening for Moose to jump in here with some
vituperative expletive, since I'm almost sure he's 180-degrees away
from the sentiments above... :-)