[OM] Re: [OT] Bug of Parental Controls for Mac OS Leopard

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Bug of Parental Controls for Mac OS Leopard
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 03:03:06 +0100
Le samedi 12 Janvier 2008 07:04, Marc Lawrence a écrit :
> Manuel Viet wrote:
> > I've spent most of my free time on computers since I'm ten¹, and my
> > eyesight is 13 on the left and 12 on the right (we count in 10th, 10
> > being 'normal vision without glasses', every tenth more being 'over
> > average'). There's no relationship between computer usage and degrading
> > eyesight, that's a urban legend. ...
> [...]
> While not certain, it does not seem to be so easily dismissed as "urban
> legend", noting also the varying prevalence amongst different cultures.

Right, thank you for remembering me not to cut corners nor take shortcuts next
time. In the second part of my message (the one you cut), I was writing that
intensive screen watching would acutely reveal any defect in one's eysight.
And I too said it wouldn't degrade anything further, but I certainly forgot
to write that you had to be taught how to use a screen. To be complete, I
should also add here that many people should be taught how to simply read a
book.

We've all got horrible tendancies that can be very dangerous once they're
onset. If you have the chance to go in a classroom with pupils learning to
read, you'll certainly notice that under the stress, they tend to bend
forward very very close to the page. While some finally become comfortable
enough to straight up a bit with time, much too many are still reading too
close to the page years later. Hey, I had students who still couldn't read
standing (notes on the desk) past their 20 ! Ditto for nearly everybody
watching a screen. Everybody should be taught this *is* very dangerous for
the eye's wellfare. Books should be read at near arm's length, and screen
should be watched no closer than 3 time the diagonal. Screens also have a
discribed hypnotic effect - you stare, and the blinking reflex is delayed way
too much ; you absolutely must voluntary blink your eyes at least every
minute to keep your cornea correcly moisturised (After a while, this effort
becomes a second nature).

All of this put a heavy strain on the ocular muscles, and can modify the shape
of the eye globe in time, worsening a latent condition. Much like you would
certainly hurt yourself if you tried to pole jump without learning the
technics.

I'm not a MD, but I certainly qualify as both an intensive reader and heavy
computer user. I thank my mother who taught me reading properly (that is, far
away from the book - she too, being a litterature teacher, is a quite
intensive reader) for having thus preserved my eyesight as good as it was
many years ago.

--
Manuel Viet