[OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose

Subject: [OM] Re: ORF to DNG what do I lose
From: Paul Shields <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 19:29:22 +0000

On 20 Feb 2008, at 15:11, C.H.Ling wrote:

> Some years ago we had a discussion about file format, some peoples
> worried
> about the camera RAW format's supporting issue and recommend TIFF for
> storage. I never worry about that as I'm still using dBase III Plus.
> Today
> you can see dozens of RAW converters supporting all major cameras
> even the
> very old one, on the other hand if DNG don't get support from camera
> manufacturers and other software house how long will it last?

Yes, but the problem is that *no* RAW format is supported by any image
editing software apart from those supplied by the camera manufacturer.
It's fine so long as you continue to use say Studio/Master etc.
Personally I've never liked those pieces of software so always use RAW
editors that have to reverse engineer the RAW data as the
manufacturers keep it a closely guarded secret. That's the whole point
of DNG (and OpenRAW - though they seem to have given up). It's already
proved its usefulness recently when Aperture 2 came out without any
native support for E-3 ORF files. Thankfully Aperture 2 handles DNG
version 2 files perfectly well.

I'd safely put my money into Adobe rather than Olympus when it comes
to handling my RAW files. Ironically you mention that TIFF was once
one option and of course that format is under the control of Adobe
already.

> In case my RAW images get no support in the future, I can always
> convert
> them to the new format before it happen.

I'd rather have them in a format that I know will still be around
rather than relying on anticipation ;).