[OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant

Subject: [OM] Re: [way OT] Re: How high's the ... rant
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:32:26 -0400
On Jun 20, 2008, at 10:11 AM, Ken Norton wrote:

>  Well, there is a little more to the story than that, but it is
> ironic that
> our current C in C has a home that borders on hyper-green.
>
> My issue with the Global Warming argument is that we have a set of
> knowns:
>
> 1. Carbon-Dioxide emittions CAN cause the conditions that
> contribute to
> global warming.
> 2. The earth is gradually warming
> 3. We have a historical record of CO2 in the air
> 4. We have a historical record of global temeratures
> 5. The increase of global temperatures appears to PROCEED the
> increase in
> CO2.
>
> Let us stew on point #5 for a minute..

I have absolute, incontrovertible evidence that global warming is
happening right now. Where I live in Maine, 10,000 years ago (give or
take), was covered with a 1-mile thick sheet of ice. Those rocks at
Pemaquid Point that I've made so much money taking pictures of were
grooved by glacial action. Just a few miles from here is a formation
called, I think, the Waldoboro Moraine. It's critical to the
construction industry. Dragon has a huge cement plant close by.

The world has been warming ever since those glaciers covered us.
According to the geologic record, it would not be beyond reason that
it will get even warmer, and then may start cooling off again. There
is no evidence to suggest the recent cycle of four glaciations won't
be a cycle of five or six or seven.

If you look at a map of the world from the geologic perspective,
you'll see the world's land masses have changed dramatically in size
and location through the eons. We would assume climate has changed,
too. After all, the summit of Mt. Everest, as I recall, is marine
limestone. Continents are still drifting along. Now, if you want to
get some real hysteria going, talk about continental drift. Who's
doing anything about that, eh?

Smart money says things are going to keep right on changing.

But, as you say, should be act as though what we do doesn't matter?
No. We should be reasonable and responsible. Who the funk needs an
SUV made by Mercedes? Who needs a freaking 25,000 square-foot house?
Eh? I could go on, but I won't.

Algore has made roughly $100 million on global warming. He lives in a
palace that conspicuously consumes energy. I knew the man back when
he was running for president in 1988, and nothing he's done then or
since has convinced me he's anything other than a Nobel-Prize Class
Hypocrite. But then we could say that about a lot of politicians and
cultural leaders. He's just near the top of the heap right now.

I really don't give a rat's ass if humanity survives itself or not.
That's because either it will, or it won't. But in the great
universal scheme of things, it doesn't make an effing bit of difference.

Sorry for the rant. No. 2 son is still in the hospital and my fuse
seems a mite  shorter than usual.

--Bob