Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: four countries

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: four countries
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 07:53:18 -0500
Ethiopian Airlines, early 1970s. In-flight entertainment often
consisted of gunbattles between EAL security and Eritrean Liberation
Front operatives. For In-country flights, the DC-3 was still a
mainstay, and goats, chickens and other domestic animals were
considered carry on. I found it particularly comforting when I landed
for the first time at Yohannes IV International Airport in Asmara
(now Eritrea) and found the runway lined with the burned out hulks of
airplanes the ELF had managed to destroy. Most of them, as I recall,
had been destroyed on the ground. Then there is the story, and I
never found out if it was apocryphal, about the Americans flying on
an aforementioned DC-3 between the Red Sea port of Massawa and
Asmara, and who noticed the smell of smoke only to find some of the
folks in the back of the plane had built a fire in a #10 tin can to
make tea.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com