Re: [OM] What is a macro, and what's in it? [was OM-5D macro comparisons

Subject: Re: [OM] What is a macro, and what's in it? [was OM-5D macro comparisons]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 15:13:46 -0600
> First, let me say that this is not a macro comparison.
> Sure it is.  Zuikos 50/3.5 and 90/2, Nikk*r 55/2.8 -- all considered by
> earthlings to be macro lenses.

I maintain the normal marketing usage of the term "Macro" means that
the lens will go down to 1:2 on it's own and is designed to go 1:1
with additional extension tube. But not only that, but the lens is
optimized in design to perform well down to 1:1. As such, these are
macro lenses.

There are those among us who hold to an absolute definition that macro
means 1:1 without assistance. Yeah, whatever. A lens designed to go to
1:1 without loss of focal length would be huge as compared to a 1:2
lens. The reason is simple: You've got to stuff the helicoid
someplace.

Tomorrow night we'll get to test the 100/2, 90/2, 50/3.5, 50/1.4,
50/1.8 and the 100/2.8 at "macro" or "near-macro" distances. Joel will
just have to pick a restaurant that has gizmos to photograph.

AG