Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 17:37:21 -0700

> Chad Myers of CNN reports that, despite the fact that it's not a high
> category number hurricane, the wind field with hurricane force gusts
> extends out 400 miles from the eye.  Some of the models are also
> predicting that it will wallow around in a small loop for about 24 hours
> whilst over Pennsylvania dropping an inch of rain an hour.  We've been
> hit here with two "500 year floods" in just 6 years.  I hope this isn't
> the third.  Fortunately, the Susquehanna River right now is nowhere near
> flood stage.

    Looking at the GOES East visible and IR imagery, it looks like the storm
surge could extend as far as Long Island, the far eastern edge of which is
pretty much like a low barrier island with salt marshes.  Same for the Perth
Amboy area of New Jersey, which has a good number of oil and petrochemical
refineries.  If you've ever gone up the NJ Turnpike in that area you've
driven right through it.

    Same concerns can be had for the salt marshes along the DelMarVa
peninsula and Chesapeake Bay.  Maybe it will help clean things out and
improve the crab population.

    And then there's Three Mile Island.

Chris