Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: Weather Heads-Up
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 10:49:19 -0400
Yes, we've noticed here
<http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents> (click the
map to enlarge).  Wednesday is Halloweeen and also my birthday and the
Trick-or-Treaters may or may not show up.  I also don't know if I'll
want to venture out for my traditional birthday dinner.  We're also
supposed to drive to Buffalo the following day to attend a day for
grandparents at the grandchildren's school.  Maybe that won't happen.

One possible significant problem is that the residential streets are
full of huge piles of leaves at the curbs waiting for the town vaccuum
trucks to come suck them up.  If they don't get them sucked up the
leaves will likely clog the gutters and cause a lot of street
flooding... unless, of course, the rain turns to snow and brings down
many of the trees which still are holding onto their leaves... like my
neighbor's giant maple behind my house.

But the models are still trying to refine the track.  Yesterday at this
time the endpoint of the track was over the top of my house... near the
"2AM Wed" mark on the map above.  Since then each advisory has been
moving it further south.  My wife just said she was reading an article
that said this hurricane track and cold-front collision is reminiscent
of Hurricane Hazel in 1954.  At the time she lived in Taylor, PA near
Scranton and there was still enough wind energy that their roll-up cloth
window awnings were destroyed.

Chuck Norcutt