Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: "Windrim, Brian" <brian@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:18:35 -0000
Hi All,

I have some comments and questions regarding Garth's suggestions:

>> *Input* DPI, on the other hand, should be as high as possible (you can
always do dimensional reduction of the image later).

I assume you mean the natural scanning resolution of the device.
Overscanning (interpolation) wouldn't get you anything if you're reducing
later.

>> This gives you more raw information to work with for any other operations
such as image cropping, sharpening, unsharp masking, etc.
>> Then reduce to target screen size as a last step.

What I've read on the subject strongly suggests that size reduction should
be the second-to-last step, with either sharpening or unsharp masking being
the last.

>> When reducing your image dimensions, always use bi-cubic resampling (it's
the best quality overall).

I sometimes use the Photoshop Crop Tool to do resizing, as this allows
resizing and rotation in a single pass. Unlike the Image Size dialog box,
the Crop Tool settings box doesn't have a choice of resampling methods. Does
it always use bi-cubic?

>> Remember that, if people are going to be viewing your work in a Web
browser, you have to subtract some pixels from each dimension (you'll have
to figure out what you're comfortable with), since the browser's window is
not the same aspect ratio as any of the standard screen dimensions.

Surely it's the *size* of the usable part of the browser's window (width and
height, in pixels) that matters, not the aspect ratio?

I'm new to this stuff so apologies if I seem a bit slow.

-Brian