Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors

Subject: Re: [OM] Suggestions for interiors
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:37:35 -0500
On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 06:33:34AM -0400, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Anybody have some suggestions here?  Looking at my own kitchen through
> the 24 mm shows some not so wonderful perspective effects.  It also
> tells me that 24 mm might not be short enough.  And, of course, shorter
> is going to be (besides expensive) even worse on the perspective front.
> A 24 mm shift is out of the question.

Take a look at my TOPE 1 entry...I dunno how that works as an architecture
shot, but it does show a couple of things:

1) That was shot with a 21. I tried very hard to avoid keystoning and got
some anyway (though you have to look to see it). The key is that the camera
must be ABSOLUTELY square with the building's idea of vertical (which,
hopefully, is the same as level, but don't count on that). I set out to show
the whole room, and largely accomplished that. An 18 would have given me
more image to work with, though, and shown all of the AS/400 in the lower
right corner.

2) I took that one at night to avoid the window behind me washing out the
images on the monitors, and me while it was at it. That's probably not the
effect you want for architectural interiors, though. A nice bright day makes
things look better - IF you can provide enough light inside to balance it.

3) If you have Photoshop - even LE - and plan to produce your output on your
computer, I'd recommend not messing with filters on teh camera and instead
manually adjusting the color balance on the computer instead. You'll have
much finer control, especially if you're dealing with a mix of flourescent
and natural lighting.

Good luck...this is a specialty not many folks pursue, and if you do it
well, you might find yourself with a new career.