Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s

Subject: Re: [OM] Competition for OM in the 70s
From: Robert Winters <prairiewinters@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 07:51:40 -0700

Here is my beginning to Zuikoholism:

My first camera was a Mamiya 500 DTL, than a Pentax ES, followed by a Nikon
F2.  And than one day my Modern Photography issue arrived at my doorstep
with the article on the new OM-2 and I knew that I had to have this little
camera to replace the anchor I was currently toting around.  My brother was
in the Navy and it was all arranged that he would send one back from the
Navy Exchange in the Phillipines. Here is where the fetish begins.  For the
next several weeks until the camera arrived I practiced with a same size
replica of the OM2 crafted from an actual size picture cut out of a Modern
Photography issue.  I was obsessed with this little camera way before the
real thing arrived.

My wife of just a few years thought I was an idiot.  But we survived that
early bout with Olympus gear and even moved on to finding the best small
speaker available for my stereo habit.  She has suffered through many
purchases in the last 28 years and been in the "darkroom" about many others.
It's been fun, It's been expensive, It never ends.  I have my eye on a GPS
receiver. Hey maybe Olympus makes one half the size of the competition
without giving up anything!

Bob Winters
Great Northwest