Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko lenses
From: "M. Royer" <royer007@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
Welcome to the wonderful world of Olympus and to this
list. The 2n is a very nice camera and will serve you
well. One thing you might want ot get however is an
OM-1 or 1n since these cameras have mirror lockup
which can be important in astrophotography. They can
be found for around 150US or less on E-bay.

One lens I suggest getting is a 50mm/1.8 Made in Japan
version lens, this standard lens is really light,
takes wonderful pictures, and is around 10-30 dollars
US on Ebay. If you have a lot more money to burn you
can get the 50mm/f2 macro which takes great pictures
but also doubles as a standard fast lens although this
lens is much more expensive and rare at around 300-500
US dollars on Ebay and elsewhere and $650 new.

If you are looking for macro lenses I would try to
find a Tamron SP 90mm 2.5 macro or one of its
counterparts made by Vivitar of Tokina. All these
lenses are between 100 and 200 (closer to 200) dollars
US found on Ebay. These are quality lenses and are
significantly cheaper that the Zuiko 90mm f2 macro
which can be over 600-700 dollars on E-bay and around
1000 dollars new but is worth it if you can afford it.

If you have a good deal of cash you could try to get
an Olympus macro system. There is the auto bellows and
the 65-110 extension tube which works with a host of
lenses such as a 20mm f2 macro. The bellows and tube
cost 150-200 each on ebay while the lenses are very
rare and can cost 200-400 dollars one ebay and around
600-700 new. These lenses are dedicated macro lenses
and must be used with the bellow or extension tube.

As for tele-lenses there is a Zuiko 300/4.5 that is a
great lens and can even be handheld although I
recommend getting a sturdy tripod. this lens costs
300-400 used. Another thing you could do is to get a
2x teleconverter for your 65-200 zoom which doubles
the focal length to 400mm but you lose some light and
some image quality and have ot use a tripod. There are
very long lenses like 600mm and 1000mm but these are
big heavy and very expensive.

One teleconverter you might want to get is called a
Vivitar Macro 2x Focusing converter. This very good
converter doubles the focal length of your lenses and
gives them macro capability up to 1:1 reproduction.
This converter can be found for around 50 dollars on
ebay and there are several auction for them going on
right now

In summation I suggest you only need 3 things though
to get started. 1 is a 50mm 1.8 Made in Japan version
standard lens. 2 is a Tamron, Vivitar, or Tokina 90mm
2.5 macro lens. 3 is a Vivitar macro focusing
teleconverter. Another good lens to seriously consider
however is the 300mm/4.5 as well. All the other lenses
take a large budget so I wouldn't look at them unless
you have money to burn. I hope this helps you on your
way to taking great pictures.

Mark Lloyd

--- Poirier Fabien