[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 21:25:14 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Winsor Crosby" <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> The size of the card depends on how you shoot. I get about a hundred
> shots on a 1 gig card shooting raw with my D100. On the other hand when
> I took my Costa Rican trip two 512MB sufficed to store all shooting for
> almost two weeks on my 5MP 5700 in jpeg fine.

On a trip it is easy to get over 60 shoot a day especially for digital, for
14 days it is 840 shoots. I expect 5MP high quality JPEG around 3MP each,
1GB is sure not enough.

> If you shoot jpeg most of the time and you probably will because of the
> write time for a raw image you do not need a lot of storage. However
> everyone shoots lots more pictures than they did with film. My advise
> on the card is that unless you intend to shoot raw all the time the
> extra cost for an 80X is not worth it. It would really be better to
> have two slightly slower cards of 512. You will not notice the speed
> difference.  A spare in case one fails. Rare, but it happens.

For most DSLR the speed different is not that big when your card speed is
over 40x. For 10D, D300 you almost see no different.

> Raw vs. jpeg: while you may be able to extract the ultimate quality
> possible from a raw image because the file will stand up better to post
> processing, if you are used to nailing your exposure most of the time
> with color slide film, you should be able to shoot fine quality jpeg
> with almost no difference in the appearance of the final image. Then
> you do not have to worry about much post processing, extra storage for
> a trip like a lap top or large expensive, super fast CF cards.

It depends on the JPEG process engine, the one inside E-1 is not that good,
you will need RAW. I also like to shoot under so that I can capture a wider
brightness range, RAW has more bits for post processing.

C.H.Ling