[OM] Re: "top-posting"? was excessive quoting

Subject: [OM] Re: "top-posting"? was excessive quoting
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:22:27 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

>>So Chris, is bottom-posting Big-endian (most content on the bottom/end)
>>and top-posting Little-endian (just the signature on the bottom)?
>>
>>Moose
>>

>I should say that your interpretation is reasonable ;-)
>
>But do remember that Jonathan Swift was making an acerbic comment on
>the triviality of the differences between religions; the Big-endians
>represented the Roman Catholics and the Little-endians the Protestants.

I do recall that.  :-) I supposed that you were by implication making a
similar statement about top and bottom posters.

>I have always taken it that Swift was disdainful of all self-important
>people, politicians in particular.

Agreed. As Holy Orders were practically required for most academic,
scientific and government posts at the time, the distinction was less
clear when he wrote. As he was The Reverend Doctor Jonathan Swift and
Dean of St. Patrick's Cathedral for over 30 years, I presume he knew
that of which he wrote.

Moose