[OM] Re: Random Musings...

Subject: [OM] Re: Random Musings...
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:48:03 -0400
At 02:34 AM 9/19/2004, Stephen wrote:

>Re the new E-series:  I am pretty sure we will see a replacement for
>the E-1, an "E-2" as it were, debut at Photokina, along with a new

which means a lower price on E-1 as well as a few used ones to
get into the hands of more members...

>... Right now, I am getting gorgeous 13X19" prints from a
>4.1 megapixel SLR. I keep thinking what I could do with a Mark II and
>an Epson 7600.

On inkjets, it would be nice if it were a few minutes for that 13x19
print. The thing I hate the most with the 2200 is having to keep my
eye on the printer ink supply when light magenta or light cyan is
getting low. If I queue up a bunch of photos I can't just let it crank
away unless there is plenty of ink. Probably my biggest complaint
with that printer.

>... But I would add that
>a lot of print quality comes down to a good "post", too...getting
>your color correction, color management, and sharpening and
>upsampling acts down go a long way to the quality of prints one gets.

I agree, and I get pretty close. still the inkjet on some papers is
hard to get clean blacks. If there is any banding or puddling, smearing
from the rollers, black will show it. I'm talking large areas of black.

>Implementing a custom paper profile and PhotoKit Sharpener recently
>just took the quality of my prints up another quantum step. Once I
>get Noise Ninja down, I hope to get another level of quality above
>that.

I've used neat image on occasion. It works well with film at the
cost of some sharpness. I've heard Noise Ninja is good but have
not tried it. Neat image has a bunch of sliders that set when you
characterize certain areas. I have not played around with them
to understand what they do. I only use it if I really think it noise
reduction necessary, it is not part of the regular flow. Neat image
needs to crunch for quite a bit of time, even on my 3ghz machine.

One thing I have not tried is to use a selective mask with layers in
PS to do selective noise reduction.

Wayne