[OM] Batteries again, again... was Question about OM-4 spot meter

Subject: [OM] Batteries again, again... was Question about OM-4 spot meter
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:49:28 -0700
Well, what can I say? I hate to disagree with you, John, but.....

If you go back in the archives, you will find epistles from me and
others about all these similar batteries. The issue here is low vs. high
drain designs. In my 3/26 post, I address this specific issue:
"Looking at the data sheets, the 303 is the same size as the 357.
However, the 303 is "Designed for use on continuous low drain" while the
357 is "Designed for use on continuous low drain. High pulse on demand"

You can really see the difference in the spec for internal resistance:
303 - Closed circuit voltage no less than 0.95 volts on a load of 100
ohms at 21C for 0.1 to 2.0 seconds.
357 - Closed circuit voltage no less than 1.30 volts on a load of 100
ohms at 21C for 0.1 to 2.0 seconds.

Clearly the 303 will be problematic in a camera applications where
called on to operate the shutter. According to the spec., one might
expect it to lock up with every shot. "

According to a lengthy post by Tim Hughes some time ago, when he was
researching batteries for new product development, some batteries sold
as 303s may be 357 equivalents internally, thus causing some possible
confusion as to whether they, in their true form, are adequate to high
drain camera application. So you could buy a set of 303s, find them to
be fine, then buy another and have trouble.

My 5/1/04 post on "Battery Question" goes into much more detail about
why you want 357s

A recent development is that Energizer has started sell ing a battery