[OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple Flash/Studio Flash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 22:40:51 -0500
JH asked:
This is OT but are you happy with the Alien Bees?  My wife was thinking
of getting them for her studio setup.
I think they're wonderful.  And the Alien Bees folks are also great to
deal with.  The flash heads are very light despite having the power
supply in the head, have built-in flash slave, infinite 5 stop power
control, can be upgraded to the next power level at a modest cost and
lots of other features.  I also have the wired remote control which is
very handy but not necessary in a small studio unless the lights are
hard to reach.

There used to be a great technical review at:
<http://davidweikel.com/E20_Page/alienbees/bees.shtml> but this site
seems not to be active now.  This review was the clincher for me.  Best
advice there was to replace the modeling lamps with 150 watt (quartz?)
lamps.  I was able to buy them at Lowe's for $3-4 apiece.

Now that I've put together a true sine wave inverter and battery pack
they are also portable.

Chuck Norcutt