[OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]

Subject: [OM] Re: Burma [partially OT camera]
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:04:28 +0100
Chris,

Thank you for your comments.

Quoting Chris Barker (11/01/08):

> I will not visit
>Burma, just as I will not visit Zimbabwe, since it will benefit the
>economy and perhaps lend implicit support to the governing regime.

I think that if one tries not to use government-owned companies or hotels
(rather easy to spot, or well known as such), and keeps to private bus
companies and small, family-owned hotels, one does not overly support the
regime. And, as strangers, my wife and I were made to feel very welcome by
every Burmese person we met. We felt that it was a good thing to provide them
with an "opening" on the outside world, however short and superficial.

>... but I know, only too well, that it is possible to put finger to
>keyboard and type out an unjustified criticism and send it, only to
>regret the action a little later.

Yes, and this may apply to me as well. I was hurt by John's post, and he never
said he regretted them - but I do not know his motives, since he did not
comment further: they may be noble ones.

I will say no more on the matter. Back to our regularly scheduled programs :-)

Bernard