[OM] Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses

Subject: [OM] Disappointing 4/3 system and DZ lenses
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:54:24 +0800
As your guys are talking about the Olympus 12-60's play, I have to express
my disappointment on the 4/3 system and the High Grade lenses. All come up
the the E-3 and the focus problem.

As I have mentioned before, after purchased the E-3 I found regular front
focus problem on my 11-22 and 50-200, all seems happen on the short ends and
my latest founding shown the problem is more likely happen with lower
contrast target. Similar problem happen to my 8mm fisheye too.

During the test I found my 4 years old 11-22 has some play on the front
group (~0.5mm), this play is large enough that you cannot focus to infinity
at around 20mm, pulling the front group back a little it works again. Why
only at 20mm? As you can expected, the focus does not maintain when you
zoom, 20mm is the wrose point for infinity. There is also large focusing
shift on the 50-200 when you zoom.

As focusing problem happen to my two most used zoom, I went to check my rare
used one, the 14-45 and 40-150 old version. The unbelievable things happen,
AF focusing error seems excluded from them. Not only that, the focus for the
40-150 maintained very well when zoom. Same happen to the DZ18-180 I just
purchased few days ago. Ok, the 14-45mm does not maintain focus as well but
AF has no problem. I really don't expect the cheap DZ lenses without
focusing scale maintain focus much better than the High Grade lenses.

I have given up my 11-22, it is very sad, a great lenses if things in focus.
I tried to purchase another one (half year old) from my friend but this one
has alignment problem, the right side is sharper than the left side at
infinity. Will I try a third one? Probably not! I also sold the DZ 8mm due
to serious purple fringe and focusing problem.

The 14-54 suppose a very good lens, I had some sharp shots with my E-1, with
a quick dirty test I done compare with the 11-22 (with manual focus), their
center sharpness were very similar but it randomly gave me some VERY soft
shots with the E-1 so I though it had problem at certain focusing distance
and focal length so I sold it some months ago. Now, I think all were due to
AF error!

With the increasing of pixel count, I doubt there is any meaning to go
further if Olympus cannot improve the precision of their product! It seems
that full frame is the way to go as larger tolerance can be accepted.

C.H.Ling