[OM] Zuiko 50/3.5 macro

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 50/3.5 macro
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 22:01:24 -0700
From: "Tobias Andersson" <tox1@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I found a New Zuiko 50/3.5 in box, never used for sale at $225.

My question is wether it is worth it's price.

It's a bit high for the US used market, but you have to judge what "never used" is worth to you. Even "never used," you should check it out well -- a lens that has been sitting on a shelf for years may have a sticky diaphram, for example.

I see them on eBay for $100 to $150.

Anybody got experience with it?

I loved mine (now Acer's). Contrasty and sharp, yes, but the 3.5 aperture makes it less easy to focus than a faster lens.

For use in general photography or do you recommend it only for macro shots?

It was the only 50mm I owned. It works quite well for general photography, as Gary's tests bear out.

Is there a difference between the SC and the MC versions?

I think the difference is minor, due to the deep recess of the front element. It's like having a built-in hood!

Any other useful info or comments?

If you get it and REALLY want to enjoy macro, next purchase will be a set of extension tubes or a bellows! (It never ends... :-)

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>