[OM] [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the first s

Subject: [OM] [OT] PSD & on the road storage, was: Re: Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Peter Leyssens <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:06:09 +0200

Hi Joel,

>>and 3) I always travel extremely light.
>
> With lots of very light CF cards I hope.

And very little cash :)  BTW, where I live, 2*512Mb is more expensive
than a 1Gb card.  1Gb is cheapest now, it seems.  Because per Bill's
advise to carry more smaller cards, it'll probably be 2*1Gb + the backup
512'er I already have.

> In your situation, I think that I would experiment with the bracketing
> feature.  I would still shoot RAW, but in your case, if you decide to go
> with SHQ, you could shoot a round of brackets and then when you get into a
> good environment to chimp (any caves?  just kidding), you could evaluate
> the best one of the set, checking the histogram, mark it with the
> protection button (right next to INFO) and then erase your card
> periodically to regain the space.

That sounds like a hassle, actually.  I'm looking into a PSD device now.
  The Vosonic looked okay until I found the Compact Drive PD70x, which
retails for 220 euros in France and features under 2 minute copies of
one gigabyte cards and up to 50 gigabytes copied and verified per
battery charge.  No frills, just a copy and a verify of the data, on 4
AA size NiMH rechargeables.  Should be about 500 grams in weight.  There
goes another change of clothes :)

If I don't find alarming news about this gadget, it'll be ordered around
the same time as my E-1, i.e. in about 3 weeks' time when it's a bit
less busy.  Can't wait to send the orders out, though :)

Peter.