[OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ

Subject: [OM] Re: Like a bad penny, I am back, OT now BBQ
From: "James McBride" <jnmcbr@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 16:51:30 -0600
In spite of what wolf proponents claim, wolves do eat people. Their victims
usually don't tell on them because they are a little bit dead. They recently
killed a man in Montana. I know people that have been menaced by wolves but
they did not actually attack. They are creatures of opportunity and will
kill and eat anything that presents itself. Wolves are the moose's only real
enemy but they don't usually kill a healthy adult. A calf or a sick or
winter weakened adult is the usual victim.

The introduction of wolves in Yellowstone has apparently been successful.
Some think their numbers have been controlled by a disease like Parvo in
dogs. There were too many elk and bison in the park and some means of
population control was needed. They used to allow some hunting in
Yellowstone but that would be politically too incorrect now.  The
introduction of wolves in central Idaho is quite another matter. The target
number of wolves was about 350 and there are now over 1000. The Clearwater
elk herd was already in decline and the wolves have about finished them off.
The anti-hunting movement is the main proponent of the wolf and I don't
think they care if all the elk are killed just to eliminate the hunting
experience for people. Idaho and Montana has developed wolf management plans
that are acceptable to the feds but Wyoming will not produce an acceptable
plan so the feds will not allow any of the three states to assume control.
Meanwhile the wolves are becoming a serious problem. The rednecks are about
ready to take matters into their own hands.

We have always had wolves in southeastern Idaho but during the wolf
reintroduction debates the Fish and Wildlife people claimed they were
actually wild dogs. After the reintroduction those assholes now admit they
were lying and they were wolves. It's unfortunate that there is no
accountability for that kind of behavior.

/jmac