Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - new monitor setup
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 17:35:58 +0000
I don't think that there's a difference now, Chuck.  Certainly if you stick to
USB HDDs  and similar common hardware there isn't.  And if software is
available for a Mac it's always at the same price as the Winders version.  On
the other hand, you might argue that there is more software available for
Winders only that is cheaper than those items that are available on both
platforms.

And contrary to what Khen says, I believe that similarly equipped machines are
a similar price.  I have a feeling that there is a greater difference in price
between Macs and the rest in the USA than in the UK, where bloomin' everything
is expensive.  So Moose's reaction is, I believe, partly a cultural thing, as
it were, in a manner of speaking ... :-)

I reckon the single most compelling reason now for having a Mac is the
(relative) vulnerability of the Winders OS to malware.  I run several Winders
computers at work which I have to keep running properly for our students, and
the biggest worry for me is protection from infiltration from the Internet.  If
I had my way (and I won't) I would have all running Mac or Linux OSs.  Long may
this (relative) safety continue.

Chris