Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Seeking Hard Drive Advice
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 07:57:38 -0400
I do have one rule that I follow that I think makes for a somewhat
better chance of getting a reliable drive... don't get the highest
capacity drive available.  Although some capacity increases are done
with rather conventional methods (I think the recent increase from 1.5TB
to 2.0TB was done using 5 platters rather than 4) sometimes it's done
with very new technology and under competitive pressure.  Working OK in
the lab and working OK off the end of a high volume manufacturing line
perhaps with totally new and untested components are different things.
I prefer to give the technology a bit of time to settle.  I'm frankly
quite amazed that today's hard drives work at all.  It might be
instructive to know how many read operations on 1TB+ drives succeed only
because the read errors were recovered by a large number of ECC bits. :-)

Chuck Norcutt