Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]

Subject: Re: [OM] Reminiscing [was: Re: iPhone et al]
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 08:45:21 -0700
> From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yup, that'll make sure that you aways have an inexperienced legislature at
> the mercy of career bureaucrats!

I've been waiting for them to put term limits on lobbyists. But I guess THAT
would be an unconstitutional limit on the free speech of their corporate
masters to spend as much money as it takes to get the important vote passed --
or blocked.

There seems to be a fundamental flaw in the US Constitution regarding "free
speech" and the right to "free association." In the first case, it would be
quite simple to say "one body, one voice," but it's combining it with the
second case that causes the problems, because then your right to say whatever
the hell you want to becomes the right of an "association" or even corporation
to say whatever the hell it wants to.

Not saying I have an answer -- giving up the right of association would be
disastrous for unions and environmental groups -- but it does seem these two
rights, in combination, make much of the case for corporate personhood.